Intended Learning: To Develop facility with a family of multiplication facts
Materials to Make on Your Own (see attached pdf to download)
• Choose one Multiples of _ game board (game board masters for factors 2-9 are provided)
• 13 colored counters for each player
• Paper clip and pencil to use as a “spinner
1. Player one spins to create a multiplication problem. For example, if the Multiples of 4 game board is used and player one spins a 5, then player one creates the problem 4 x 5 or 5 x 4.
2. Player one states the number sentence and places a counter on the product.
3. The next player spins, states the problem, and places a counter on the product.
4. Players take turns until one player has 3 counters in a row horizontally, vertically, or diagonally.
5. If the product is no longer available, the player may spin again.
Responses, variations, and extensions:
- These games are most effective with students who have a concept of multiplication as repeated addition.
- Students may use materials to calculate the facts as needed
- Students should be cautioned not to guess; rather they should use strategies to determine the products. Inaccurate guesses can imprint the incorrect fact leading to further difficulty.
- For an extension, encourage students to select strategically the product if it is available in more than one location. Moves may either advance a player’s own cause or block the opponent from achieving three in a row
BONUS: Free Ready Set Math Lesson
Ready Set Math Lesson
Find all the materials you need to download in the above link.
Please share in the comments below if you used the games.